Resources, 529, Savings, Plan, Education
There are many good online resources that provide information about saving for college and specifically about 529 plans. We list a few that we think should be at the top of your list:
- The College Savings Plan Network, or CSPN, is a non-profit affiliate of the National Association of State Treasures. Their website is excellent and easy-to-use, particularly the Getting Started section and the 529 Plan comparison tool.
- The U.S. Department of Education offers a broad resource including information about grants and scholarships. The Department’s Federal Student Aid website provides additional information for many specific groups, such as children of military families.
- If you or your child is getting closer to applying for college, College Parents of America features several slide shows about financial aid and the process of applying for aid.
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) 529 Plan: Questions and Answers is another resource that addresses tax related aspects of 529 plans.
- Morningstar, the ratings agency, each year names what it believes are the best 529 college savings plans. Their ratings for 2012 include 27 plans which received Gold, Silver, or Bronze Morningstar Analyst Ratings.
Finally, don't forget to check out your own state's 529 website!